0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
I guess I need to jump in here to set some records straight:1) State universities are only compensated state dollars for each FULL-TIME student attending2) For analysis sake, let's say we make $1 million per 1,000 students enrolled full-time. - As we currently only have 13,000 Full-time students attending we'd receive $13 million in state funding - We have about 29,000 students currently enrolled in some form of classes, which means that for the other 16,000 students we do not receive ANY state funding at all (an additional $16 million we would have earned from the state for full-time students). Yet, FAU still needs to have 55% more classrooms with professors paid, electricity, water and maintenance costs -- ALL with ZERO state funding.Far too often, many students believe "but I pay butt-loads in tuition"!!Sadly, even though tuition has raised at FAU, Florida Universities are consistently ranked in the Top 5 states for cheapest tuition rates (in-state)!Also, whether you "used financial aid" or never received a scholarship in your life... you benefit from private donors to foot the total bill at the university so if FAU ever calls you asking for a donation - just know that it's the ONLY way that ANY public or private University can function! KEY FACT: State dollars + Your fully paid tuition ONLY pay for about 85% of the real cost of your classes at FAU! The other 15% is paid by alumni donors, business donors and Planned Giving (wills, etc.)So, in reality EVERYONE receives private funding (a form of scholarship) if you take a class!Full-time students simply help the University actually recoup the extra ~40% or so that the state pays whereas that money is not given to help compensate the University for the 16,000 students who are not currently full-time status.
.. but I did manage to finish with three degrees so I guess it was maybe sort of worth it.